Skip to main content

Happiness....

It seems the Blogging world is alight with those of us currently pondering happiness. This post by Carla Coulson had me really thinking. Put this together with Gretchen Rubin's thoughts and I feel the need to write a few lists.


 (Image - Carla Coulson - Chasing a Dream)

Carla talks about the things that she needs to make her happy. Her Italian husband needed to get out of Italy after she felt she had settled in Florence and was 'living the dream'. So they packed up and moved to Paris. Cue the continuation of the dream life as they both found happiness and success in Paris. But a niggling feeling made Carla question what it was that they both needed to be happy. A list emerged that highlighted the important things such as Sunshine, Love, Friends, Grass, Good Coffee, a Garden and many more. A realisation followed that Paris was not making either of them happy. I am staying tuned to see what happens next.

It made me think about my own burning desire to travel and live overseas and what is is that I really need to be happy in life and with my environment. What is it that appeals to me about being overseas? Here's the start of my list

  • Culture
  • Mystery and excitement
  • Sunshine
  • Laughter
  • Family & friends
  • New challenges
  • Doing work I love
  • Good food and shopping
  • Entertaining friends
  • A wardrobe of lovely dresses and heels
What I find really interesting about all this is that without realising I started my own journey to environmental happiness. A couple of months ago I tipped my comfortable life upside down and moved house. I had been living in suburban happiness with my long time man S, when I realised though I was happy in our relationship, I wasn't happy with the environment in which we lived. So I packed up and moved myself to the inner city. I now live in a 2 bedroom apartment on the 8th floor overlooking the city in inner city leafy suburb of South Yarra. Yes S and I survived the move and we see each other most days of the week. This change of scenery has done wonders for my happiness levels and surprisingly for our relationship too. Being happy within myself makes me happier to be around and easier to be with!  

I never realised how important our environments are in reflecting our inner selves. For me the space I live in and the area that represents the immediate lifestyle on offer makes a difference to how I feel in general and how I feel about myself. It is a reflection on who I am am, and what I have achieved in life. The struggles and sacrifices I have made along the way have made me the person I am and allowed me to get to a certain level of comfort and lifestyle. These things are what makes me 'me' and the space I live in is so much a part of that.


The view from my balcony and lounge is one that fills me with happiness. This space feels like me and represents the things that currently make me happy. (I know this will change overtime and look forward to what the next chapter shapes up to look like.)

What makes you happy? If you could live anywhere and do anything what would it be? It does not have to be forever, just for now. What's on your list? Does your environment change your mood?








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gilmore Girls Inspired Mind Wanderings....

Having spent my weekend immersed in Stars Hollow with our favourite mother and daughter duo, I have now rejoined my reality and have had sufficient enough time to digest this next (and possibly last) instalment of my favourite TV family. I, like many others of around a similar age, spent the early 2000s religiously tuning into Gilmore Girls each week to get my fix of the latest caffeinated goings on in Stars Hollow. While Lorelei and Rory were closer in age than my mum and I, we did share a similar synchronicity of our relationships. We too spent plenty of time together shopping and enjoying hanging out. Though it is only now that i have developed a taste for coffee that we too can share this. So it was with excitement that we sat down Friday night to see what the last 9 years had held for our beloved Lorelei and Rory. Would Lorelei and Luke have finally got together? What adventures and accolades would Rory achieve on the Obama campaign trail as she pushed to dizzying

Handbags

As a girly girl I love shoes, champagne and handbags and fashion and plenty more. But I wanted to share a few handbags I am currently loving. Miu Miu Bag  - Image Making Magique The Hermes Birkin. Bliss Loving the pop of neon Another pop of neon My current favourite pop of neon yellow. Am trying to find my own before winter ends. As you can see my current style crush is a more structured tote. One day I will own a Birkin. Wonder what colour I will choose? A black or tan that will go with everything or something a little more special that shows off my fabulous purchase? I am in handbag heaven with these beauties. Can't wait to find my own slice of perfection. I feel a shopping weekend coming on! xxx

Thoughts and Feelings

Hi all, It's such a great feeling to know that I have a place to to put my thoughts. Whether anyone reads them, or takes them on board, isn't really the point. It's about a safe place to download and share. The good, the bad, the exciting and the ugly. While those close to me will know that the last 12 months have been tough and the last 6 more so, others will probably not have noticed a change in the business as usual version of me.  (aside from a lack of posting anything). Up until recently, I prided myself on that. On projecting that veneer to the world that everything is ok. But honestly inside I am sad. And it made me realise that we put on this veneer, this mask as if being the real version of ourselves would not be liked and accepted. That people would shun us and think less of us for showing our really feelings and our real lives. In this day of social media and the desire to share the best bits of our lives with everyone (those we know and those we don&#